Need an easy dinner this week? Check out all our best recipes with our high quality beef to get a hearty meal on the table.
Roast Beef & Gravy
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Cut roast in half; place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
4 ounce-weight: 267 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein.
Machaca Beef Dip Sandwiches
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 envelope au jus gravy mix
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 French rolls, split
- Guacamole and salsa, optional
- Place roast in a 3- to 4-qt. slow cooker; top with onion. Combine the broth, water, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, gravy mix, Creole seasoning, chili powder and cumin; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with 2 forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place meat on rolls. Serve with guacamole or salsa if desired and the cooking juices.
Freeze option:Freeze individual portions of cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Serve on rolls, with guacamole and salsa if desired.
1 sandwich: 476 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1288mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.
Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 1 boneless beef rump roast or bottom round roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope (0.87 ounce) brown gravy mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- Sliced provolone cheese, optional
- Giardiniera, optional
- In a large skillet, brown each roast in oil on all sides. Drain. Transfer meat to a 7-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, onion, garlic, salad dressing and gravy mixes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Pour juices into a large bowl. Shred beef with 2 forks; add to bowl. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired.
Freeze option:Cool meat and juices; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired.
1 sandwich (calculated without cheese and giardiniera): 450 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 969mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein.
Pressure-Cooker Mushroom Pot Roast
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled parsnips
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Mashed potatoes
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Halve roast; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Select saute or browning setting on a 8-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. When oil is hot, brown a roast half on all sides. Remove; repeat with remaining beef and 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. Add wine to pressure cooker. Cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Press cancel. Return beef to pressure cooker.
- Add mushrooms, onions, broth, tomato sauce, parsnips, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and chili powder. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 60 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. A thermometer inserted in beef should read at least 160°.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer back to pressure cooker. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes, meat and vegetables. If desired, top with chopped parsley.
- Freeze option: Place roast and vegetables in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary.
4 ounces cooked beef with 2/3 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup gravy: 316 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Tender Pot Roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pounds (2 kg) chuck roast or blade roast, boneless and trimmed of excess fat
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 8 cloves garlic smashed with the back of a spoon (or 2 tablespoons minced garlic)
- 1 pound (500 grams) baby potatoes, white or Yukon gold, (you may need to halve them if they are too large)
- 4 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons crushed bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons plain flour (optional -- for a thick gravy)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, to serve
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pan over high heat. Season roast with a good amount of salt and pepper. Sear on all sides until browned (about 5-6 minutes each side). Transfer roast to the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, balsamic, mustard, brown sugar, thyme and bouillon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the stock together with the flour and pour into the slow cooker bowl (don't worry about any lumps, they will cook out).
- Cook on low setting for 8 hours, or until meat is tender and falling apart and the vegetables are soft.
- Taste test and add any extra balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt or pepper, if needed.
- Slice meat, garnish with parsley and drizzle with gravy.
Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 125mg | Sodium: 584mg | Potassium: 962mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4210IU | Vitamin C: 14.2mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 4.7mg